CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Small Town vs. Big City

So I spent a couple of days in Washington DC last week to see my brother who lives in Idaho, but was over with his son for a field trip. Actually, he was an ambassador for his school and I'm very proud of him.

But when I got there I was informed that the way to get around was by public transportation and I don't mean this to sound like "I'm so above this, are you kidding me" in my finest southern drawl. I mean, I live in a small town and "Oh my, I didn't bring my gun," of course in my finest redneck southern drawl. Because, we don't have public transportation here and all we hear about is the bad stuff that goes on, on them.

However, to my pleasant surprise it was kinda fun and exciting and not scary at all. In fact that's the only way to get around, I believe it's scarier driving there than letting someone else drive you. Talk about road rage.

But as I road the Metro or the bus, I looked around and there were tons of kids, unsupervised going around the city. Pretty typical for them. But I thought could I let my kids run around the city without me. Small town life if they walk down the street and do something they shouldn't be doing, I'm going to know about it before they get home, because someone is going to call me. On the other hand though, it was fun to have so much to do and offer in one place.

But in the end, I decided that I like the open waters and nothing to do unless you have a boat and no public transportation lifestyle.

One road in and one road out of our city, not I395/I495 which split by the way and you better know where you're going.

0 comments: