CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Sharks Tale

I took the boys surfing this past weekend. Evan didn't take his board and opted for just playing in the water. He saw a friend of his and they ended up playing together. Sean loves to surf and heads out and will sit forever just waiting for that perfect wave. After sitting for a while he comes in and says to me that something kinda big brushed against his leg. I figured it was a fish and big was only in his head. I can get a rather big imagination while swimming in the ocean too. I've seen both Jaws and Open Water, freaky.

Anyway, a little later he heads back out again, much braver than his mother. But anyway, he stays out for a while surfing and finally comes back in. This time he comes up to me and says I saw that thing again and it was a shark. Okay, sure, I'm thinking porpoise really. But I didn't tell him that. Pick your battles, right.

Fast forward to his third time out, again much braver than his mother, especially since he says he actually saw a shark. So he's out there and he just standing by his board while Evan and his friend and another boy are splashing around, wrestling in the water, just having a good time being boys. Evan's friends dad suddenly jumps up and yells at his boy. All the boys stop and turn toward the beach like we didn't do it. So he yells again and tells them to get out. They still just stand there. At this point I'm half way over to where the dad was standing wondering what my two had done. None of the boys move and he yells, "Get out, there's a shark!"

I've never seen them move so fast, all four boys are practically running on water. They get out and the dad tells them he saw two sharks swimming about five feet behind them. All the splashing and murking up the bottom they were doing caused them to get curious. He said they were about 5-6 feet long each. He told me that they had seen several the day before and that they had been really bad lately.

Wow, we didn't go back into the water that day. However, they have been bugging me daily to take them back surfing. I wish I had the same fearless attitude and I'm not going to make them stop. But it's still very eery to know they were swimming with the sharks so close.

0 comments: